INTERVIEW: STENDEC

Graeme Turnbull, aka STENDEC is a Scottish artist who has made London his home. He grew up in Glasgow where his appetite for art was spurred on by the UK's creative urban culture. He balances his time between working on high end commercial VFX projects where he creates stunning 3D imagery and his more primal hand drawn art, which is often limited to a basic palette of line and tone.


Where are you based?
Originally from Scotland, I moved to London almost five years ago.


Describe your work.
Bold, abstract, geometric paintings combining a mix of loose and hard-edged brushwork, taking advantage of a limited colour palette. The work usually focuses on toying with building and breaking perspective or deconstructing architectural shapes. One day I’ll be up a ladder painting a huge wall in the centre of London with spray cans and paint, really cathartic and spontaneous pieces - then the next I’ll be using a superfine pen to create detailed and intricate work.


What inspires you to create?
My peers and friends, people being driven to be creative. I focus on my surroundings, geometry, line, shadow, architecture, form and negative space. These all have a direct impact on my painting. And Bob Ross - he’s the man!


What are you working on at the moment?
I’m experimenting with some ideas and techniques for a new series of paintings. I recently finished a painting for the White Canvas Project at Beyond Retro in Shoreditch. It was a fun challenge put together by End Of The Line and Supreme Being. 16 artists came together and painted on canvases made from various types of reclaimed clothing. Also Gamma Proforma have just released a new print of my work. We created a short run of six prints in three colourways available here.


What are you doing when you are not creating?
Thinking about creating - even if I’m actually in the pub...


What's your favourite piece of work that you have created?
I don’t think I have one. Generally, I always believe I can do it better next time.


Anyone you would like to plug?
Gamma Proforma. They have been extremely supportive in backing me and have been putting out work by some of my favourite artists for years. I was flattered to be featured in their limited edition book Futurism 2.0 alongside so many talents. Mr Will Barras. Apart from creating insanely good paintings, he hooked me up with a space in his studio. Seven of us share the studio and we all have different disciplines and interests, which has undoubtedly contributed to me developing as an artist.

What is next for you?
To continue to paint as much as possible.