INTERVIEW: SMART PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE MONTH

THOMAS KAKAREKO @thomas_k


Where are you based?
I'm a Berliner. Born and raised in this beautiful city.



Describe your photography.
When I shoot I want to capture emotions - no matter if they are good or bad, they have to be real. This fascinates me the most about taking candid pictures of strangers, I never get tired of it. I‘ve been shooting every day for almost three years and I still can‘t stop smiling every time I manage to capture a special moment. I'm quite obsessed with background. Almost every composition begins with choosing the right background. I love to have lines, shapes or textures in my pictures. The perfect picture should include an expressive character and an eye-catching backdrop. 


When are you most happy taking photographs?
I mainly shoot on my way to and back from work. When I'm walking the streets of Berlin I'm always ready to take the best picture I ever took. But it's much more than that. Photography has become my biggest obsession so even in my free time I subconsciously continue to frame the world around me trying to find something interesting to capture. I'm most happy when I have a day off and can spend all the time I have shooting.


What do you want to say with your images?
When I started to shoot, my goal was to show my vision of Berlin to the world. I have always been in love with this city but I was never able to find a way to express it. Today I can easily say that mobile photography changed my life for the better. I want to capture short moments in time that people are usually too busy to see. I can't imagine photographing anything other than everyday life. This is what motivates me. I want to present everyday scenes in an interesting and unique way. 


What are you currently working on?
Last year I co-founded Visumate - an agency for visual brand communication. We develop below the line marketing strategies and use our global network of photographers and influencers to capture emotions and impressions around a brand to promote their accounts in social media. With our motto 'a picture is worth a thousand words' we transfer the image of a company in a very simple but effective way to the customer.


What is next for you?
If only I knew. I want to become a better photographer so I will continue shooting every day. I want to travel the world and get to know new and interesting people. I'm open for anything that comes my way.